Friday, July 18, 2008

Whole wheat Banana Pancake

Yes, again banana! But, wait, the recipe is really simple and finger-licking tasty! :)

The inspiration for making this recipe comes from A&N's Banana Muffins. On seeing A&N's lovely muffins, I knew I have to do something with my over-ripe bananas lying in my fruit basket too. So, here is my ultra-simplified version (Although, I plan to make the muffins one day too!).
Since I have a three year old son, I have become very conscious about what ingredients I use, how healthy it is, if I can reduce the amount of sugar in it or replace it with something healthy and so on. This time I served it with some stirred sourcream and blueberries as an evening snack which was enjoyed by us and my son thoroughly. He ate so much that I could forget about his dinner, but then I didn't worry! As this is a wholesome meal for children for now and then.

The picture is not showing the best pancake, but just didn't remember to click. Managed to take one picture later on. The pancake got a bit wrinkled while turning. :(

Preparation Time: 1 h 15 minutes
Baking time: 3 minutes for each pancake
Makes about 8-10 pancakes

Ingredients:

Pancake Batter:
2 ripe bananas (overripe is as good!)
150 g Wholewheat flour
2 tsp Baking powder
250 ml milk
1 tbsp Maple syrup
1 tsp fennel seeds (optional)
or
1 large pinch cardamom powder

Oil or butter for frying the pancakes

Method:

  • Mash the bananas with a fork in a large bowl
  • Mix the whole wheat flour with the baking powder and add to the crushed bananas
  • add milk and maple syrup and mix everything with a whisk into a smooth batter
  • Set aside for about an hour , if for longer, then put in the fridge, covered
  • Use butter or oil for frying them in a fry pan or griddle
  • For that, heat the pan on medium heat, spread a tbsp of butter and put one ladle of the batter on the pan and spread slowly with a base of a ladle into a round pancake.
  • Cover the pan immidiately. Reduce heat slightly
  • After about half a minute, when the upper part is no more fluid and shows bubbles, turn it upside down. Use some more butter, if required.
  • Bake till the other side is done.
  • Serve with maple syrup or honey or sweetened apple puree and chopped nuts or fruits!

Keeping the blog alive! ;)

4 comments:

Swati said...

looks yummy !

Subhashree said...

Yummy! I guess the brat will love it. He is the one with sweet tooth, the baby is happy anything spicy.

Anonymous said...

hii..my son is too small to eat this. But I served it to my hubby today and he just liked it so much! Its simple and yummy!! I am keenly following your blog. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

For some reason mine just get sticky and break. :( Dunno what to do. Is ther anytghing i could add to the mix so that it dosnt stick to the girdle?